Backyard Farms’ Chicken Katsu w/ Curry SauceOctober 12, 2018
Easy Autumn Chicken Bake with Backyard FarmsDecember 14, 2019
Backyard Farms’ Japanese Chicken Gyoza
YIELD: Serves 2
- For the gyoza:
- 75g Backyard Farms’ chicken thighs, minced
- 75g cabbage leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp scallion, minced
- 1 tbsp Chinese chive
- Sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 12 to 16 pieces of gyoza wrapper
- 1tbsp salad oil
- Mixture A:
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger
- 3/4 tsp miso
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Japanese vinegar
- 1 tsp chili oil
- Chop cabbage, chinese chive and scallion.
- Mince ginger and garlic.
- Sprinkle some salt ( extra ) on the cabbage.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes to extract liquid. Wrap it with a bleached cloth (or gauze) and squeeze.
- Put minced chicken (or ground chicken) in a bowl and add Mixture A.
- Knead with hands thoroughly so that the minced chicken will fully absorb seasoning.
- Once it’s marinated, add cabbage, chinese chive, scallion, ginger and garlic.
- Mix with hands and let it stand for an hour in the fridge.
- Spread filling in a tray and divide into 12-16, match the number of wrappers to the fillings.
- Take filling with a spatula and place it in the centre of the wrapper, wet the edges with water.
- Cover the filling with 1/3 of the near side wrapper.
- Begin from the right front side and make pleats in a curve to form a seal.
- Place each dumpling on a floured ( bread flour ) extra board.
- To prevent them from becoming dry, cover with cling wrap.
- Heat a frying pan lightly, add cooking oil and place dumplings.
- The time when the dumplings make a sizzling noise in a frying pan is good at the correct temperature.
- Pour mixture of water and starch ( just enough to cover 1/4 of the dumplings) in spiral motion. It creates a tasty crispy, thin skin on the bottom.
- Cover with a lid for about 7 minutes, steam and roast at medium heat.
- Remove the lid and cook for about 3 mins. to completely cook oﬀ liquids.
- Remove from the heat when the dumpling’s cooked surface is crispy brown and no liquid is left.
- Place the frying pan on a wet cloth for about 10 seconds to ensure easy removal of dumplings.
- Place dumplings upside down on a plate using a spatula. Serve with sauce.