Chicken MarsalaJune 6, 2017
Arroz CaldoJune 7, 2017
RECIPE BY: Alison Roman
YIELD: Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 3½–4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces (breasts halved)
- 2 tablespoons 4-3-2-1 Spice Rub
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until paste turns brick-red, about 2 minutes. Add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and 3 cups water. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, 50–60 minutes; season with salt.
- Prepare grill for medium heat. Season chicken with 4-3-2-1 Spice Rub. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, 15–20 minutes. Continue grilling, turning and basting with barbecue sauce often, until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 8–10 minutes longer.
- Do Ahead: Barbecue sauce can be chilled 1 week ahead.